Friday, May 30, 2008

Observation 8

Place: Fish Creek Bridge, Wilson WY
Time: 5:00 pm
Temp: 46 degrees
Weather: Sunny, with some clouds
Wind: a cold breeze
Soil: dry

My observation spot has changed so much since the first week I observed this area! On the first week, there was hardly and grass or other flora, and i saw more fauna, such as moose and more types of birds. As the weather has changed so has the organisms in my area. I have observed the willows bloom, swallows form round nests made out of wood and mud. I know that this is an antipredator adaptation because the nests are the same color as the trees and ground. I have also noticed the aspens come to life in their grove. They grow in a grove beecuase their roots are connected under ground. The water in the creek has risen at least half a foot and is going way faster than it was at the beginning. I observed mallards again, but or the first time I only saw a male. I predict that the eggs were already well-incubated so the male left to find a flock of other males. During the last few weeks i have observed many interactions between organisms, from competition to predation to mating. I have observed mutualistic relationships: the two mallards mating, a commensalistic relationship: where one organism (the tree) remains unaffected and the other (the moss) is benifited. I predict that as the temperature rises there will be more and more bugs. I also predict that more rain will come and the water level will rise and some organisms will leave, and others (like different kinds of fish, birds, an insects) will arrive.

1 comment:

Ms. Overly said...

Good overall observations of the flora and fauna in your area. Your ties to symbiotic relationships were a bit confusing, as it wasn't clear how these relationships were truly benefitting one or both of the organisms.